Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

You realise that God has a sense of irony when you decide to quit smoking on Ash Wednesday.

In the auto on the way to work, Mom calls up, "It's Ash Wednesday... the start of Lent... just reminding you"

So this is me trying to resist the temptation of bursting into flames on a two inch pyre.

Less than ten hours into my new decision (and just over twenty four hours from my last cigarette), I already feel the craving. And I see the truth in the words of old Greg, that most people smoke - without knowing it - because they want to die at least as much as they want to live. Because it's better to have hurt inside you than nothing at all. Believe you me, I know.

Already a very morbid start to this year's period of mourning. But then again, could there be any other way?

"The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean"

- Hebrews 9:13, NIV

1 comment:

Zaev Dutt said...

Oral Addiction. Nuff Said.