Friday, June 5, 2009

Dog Eat Dog

There's a new device out on the Indian market called a "Bow Lingual" which interprets dog barks and translates them into English. Outputs such as "Feed me, I'm hungry" and "I'm frustrated" to a wireless handheld device with the user define six states of emotions of the dog.

Page 8 of today's Mumbai Mirror (which I don't think is much of a paper in the first place)
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Client.asp?Daily=MMIR&showST=true&Enter=true&Skin=MIRRORNEW&GZ=T

Inaccuracy aside (the manufacturer, Takara, touts it as just an "entertainment device"), as a dog lover, I loathe the thought of latching an electronic device onto my dog's collar and using it to interpret what my dog is feeling. It just takes too much out of the bond between man and animal.

No comments: