Sunday, February 8, 2009

Job Descriptions

With the placement free-for-all just around the corner, and given the current shit we are all in right now, one has to really start considering the kind of things one wants to be doing for the rest of one's life (too many "one"s in that last sentence...)

So I've begun thinking of jobs from the point of view of the one-liner job description. It's really cool how some seemingly boring jobs kinda jump out and vice-versa. It makes your really rethink what you want to do. Of course, being the brash, naive brat that I am, I will not be without my biases. Feel free to comment, and I will make changes accordingly.

Evangelist - I give people hope.

Investment Banking - I tell really really rich people where to put their money so that they eventually can earn more than I will (else they won't come to me)

Marketing - I make you want stuff, even if you don't really want it in the first place.

Social Work (NGOs etc) - I do the dirty work that no one else wants to do and my payoff is not monetary.

Investment Banking v2 - I do the dirty work that no one else wants to do and my payoff is monetary.

Consultant - I tell people how to solve their issues (like an organization level shrink)

Shrink - I listen to people and tell them how to solve their issues.

Civil Servant - I run the country.

Police officer - I do the dirty work so that your kids can go out safely.

Roadside sweeper - If I didn't do my work, you'd have to do it.

No comments: